WASHINGTON — Department of Homeland Security acting Secretary Chad Wolf is resigning in the wake of the deadly US Capitol siege, The Post has learned.
Wolf sent a letter to his colleagues at the department on Monday afternoon announcing his decision.
“I am saddened to take this step, as it was my intention to serve the Department until the end of this Administration,” he wrote.
“Unfortunately, this action is warranted by recent events, including the ongoing and meritless court rulings regarding the validity of my authority as Acting Secretary,” he wrote.
“These events and concerns increasingly serve to divert attention and resources away from the important work of the Department in this critical time of a transition of power,” he wrote.
Wolf said FEMA administrator Pete Gaynor would step in as acting secretary.
Wolf made a rare break with President Trump last week when he asked the commander in chief to condemn the chaos at the Capitol.
Several hours later, the White House announced the withdrawal of Wolf’s nomination to fill the DHS post full-time — but claimed the move was unrelated.
Wolf is the third member of Trump’s cabinet to resign in the wake of the DC protests which killed five people, following Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos who also headed for the exits in protest.
The DHS chief was overseas when his department was part of the efforts to clear pro-Trump rioters from the Capitol.
“What transpired yesterday was tragic and sickening,” Wolf said in a statement on Thursday morning, blasting any “elected official” who might incite such mayhem.
“While I have consistently condemned political violence on both sides of the aisle, specifically violence directed at law enforcement, we now see some supporters of the President using violence as a means to achieve political ends. This is unacceptable.”
The 45-year-old Trump official had previously said he would remain in his position to ensure “an orderly transition to President-elect Biden’s DHS team.”