Speaking to reporters Tuesday at a press conference alongside Sen. Bob Menendez (D-NJ) and Rep. Tom Malinowski (D-NJ), Gov. Phil Murphy said, “We’re not aware of any outbreaks” before calling the federal response to the pandemic “extremely disappointing.”
Murphy made the comment just over a week after he announced that state officials were investigating whether the commander-in-chief’s event violated state coronavirus rules.
At the time, Murphy excoriated the president and his campaign for hosting the event after senior adviser Hope Hicks tested positive before revealing the probe.
“The President & his staff acted recklessly in coming to New Jersey knowing that they had been exposed to someone with a confirmed positive test. We hope that no confirmed cases come out of the event in Bedminster,” Murphy’s first tweet began.
After explaining what the state was doing to account for all event attendees, he said the state was looking into allegations that the event may have violated his executive orders to prevent the spread of the novel virus.
“We continue to investigate reports that suggest the Bedminster event may not have complied with our current rules, which may have put others at risk,” the Democratic governor wrote, adding that “Any failures to comply” would result in a referral to the state attorney general.
After news of the event initially surfaced earlier this month, the White House provided Jersey health officials with a list of at least 206 people who had attended the event, which was held at the Trump National Golf Club and included a campaign fundraiser and a roundtable.
The roundtable event, according to a guest list obtained by the Washington Post, included the commander-in-chief and two dozen or so supporters, some of whom took pictures with Trump.
Trump attended Thursday’s festivities after spending time with longtime aide Hicks, who had tested positive.