In the chaotic aftermath of a car collision, individuals often find themselves grappling with a myriad of questions. One of the most pressing queries is whether they need the expertise of a car collision attorney. This article aims to shed light on the pivotal scenarios where consulting a legal professional becomes imperative, as well as the steps to take after a car accident, the potential damages one can recover, fault determination processes, common causes of accidents, and more.
When Do I Need an Auto Accident Attorney?
The decision to seek legal representation is influenced by various factors. If significant or permanent injuries have occurred, seeking compensation becomes crucial. A reputable car collision attorney can be instrumental in navigating through the complexities of your case. Here are some circumstances where their assistance is particularly beneficial:
- Significant or Permanent Injuries: If you’ve received medical care for your injuries, exploring your options for compensation is essential.
- Inability to Work: If your injuries prevent you from working, a car collision attorney can help you pursue compensation for lost income.
- Unclear Fault: When it’s not evident who is at fault for the accident, legal guidance becomes crucial.
- Involvement of Commercial Vehicles: Cases involving commercial vehicles or drivers require specialized legal expertise.
- Multiple Causes of the Accident: If there are multiple factors contributing to the accident, a skilled attorney can help untangle the complexities.
- Influence of Alcohol or Drugs: If a driver involved in the accident was under the influence, legal assistance is vital.
- Insurance Company Challenges: If the insurance company is delaying the process or offering inadequate compensation, an attorney can advocate for your rights.
- Uncertainty About Legal Proceedings: If you’re unsure about how to initiate a case or have questions about your legal rights, consulting an attorney is advisable.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
Taking the right steps after a car crash is crucial for determining the compensation you may receive. Here’s a comprehensive checklist to guide you:
- Ensure Safety: Move vehicles to a safe place, call 911, and get to safety.
- Medical Attention: Seek prompt medical attention for injuries. Obtain evaluations even if you suspect minor injuries.
- Gather Information: Collect essential information from all parties involved, including names, license plate numbers, addresses, phone numbers, and insurance details.
- Witness Information: Obtain names and contact information for any witnesses.
- Document the Scene: Take photos of the vehicles, the overall scene, road conditions, injuries, and property damage.
- File a Police Report: If the police don’t respond, file an online accident report promptly.
- Accident Report: Complete necessary forms to obtain a copy of the accident report.
- Keep Records: Maintain records of medical care, lost income, and any relevant expenses.
- Contact an Attorney: Reach out to a car collision attorney as soon as possible to understand your rights and explore compensation options.
What Damages Can I Recover in a Car Accident Case?
Car accident cases may involve various damages, including:
- Medical Expenses: Covering hospital stays, doctor visits, home health care, and rehabilitation costs.
- Property Damage: Compensation for damage to your vehicle and other property.
- Lost Income: Reimbursement for income lost due to the accident.
- Pain and Suffering: Non-economic damages for physical and emotional distress.
How Do I Get Compensation for My Damages?
Colorado law mandates drivers to carry minimum insurance, but other sources may contribute to compensation. A skilled car collision attorney can evaluate all potential sources, including employers, third parties, or your own insurance. The goal is to maximize compensation and ensure justice for you and your family.
How Is Fault Determined in a Denver Car Accident?
Colorado employs an at-fault system for car accidents. Fault determination involves a thorough evaluation of various factors, including eyewitness testimony, video evidence, damage location on vehicles, road marks and debris, injuries, cell phone records, alcohol and drug tests, and admissions by other parties. It’s important to note that the police report isn’t the final say, and experienced lawyers can conduct a comprehensive fault investigation.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Understanding the common causes of car accidents is crucial for prevention and legal proceedings. Some prevalent factors include speeding, failure to yield, improper turns, adverse weather conditions, running stop signs or red lights, inadequate following distance, distracted driving (texting), driving under the influence (DUI), vehicle defects, road rage, and whiplash injuries.
Is There an Experienced Car Collision Lawyer Near Me?
In the realm of car accidents, experience matters. At Bachus & Schanker, we boast a track record of successfully recovering over $1 billion in verdicts and settlements. As trial lawyers, our firm has tried more personal injury cases in the past two years than any other law firm in Colorado. Whether negotiating a settlement or going to trial, our legal team is dedicated to fighting for justice with no upfront costs to you or your family.
The aftermath of a car collision can be overwhelming, but with the right legal representation, you can navigate through the complexities and secure the compensation you deserve. If you find yourself pondering whether it’s worth getting an attorney for a car accident, remember that a skilled car collision attorney can be your strongest advocate during this challenging time.